Adroddiadau Tachwedd / November Reports..............


Town slip into danger zone

Carmarthen Town 1 Rhyl 2

Following Carmarthen Town’s 5-2 success at Chepstow in a Welsh Cup replay last Wednesday, the Richmond Park faithful were hoping that this victory in a tricky cup tie would signal a change for the better in Town’s fortunes in the League of Wales this season. Unfortunately against lowly Rhyl on Saturday, Town continued to contrive defeat in a game which they should have won comfortably. And it proved the final straw for manager John Mahoney who announced his resignation from the post on Monday evening. Mahoney had seen Town striker Tony Rees strike the Rhyl crossbar on two occasions with visiting goalkeeper Paul Walker beaten, while leading striker Paul Burrows had a goal ruled out in a marginal decision by F.I.F.A. referee Kevin Parry. Clear cut chances arising from Town’s domination were missed and to cap the home side’s tale of woe, player manager Aidan Jones scored the winner for his Rhyl side in injury time in the second half.

Town could not have wished to make a better start when the Rhyl keeper miskicked in front of his goal and Rees accepted the gift gratefully to slot the ball into the empty net. The same player then missed a good chance when finding himself clear through the Rhyl defence. He tamely chipped the ball into the arms of Walker.

Then Rees struck the Rhyl crossbar after a good cross by Wayne Jones and then, after Walker had dived full length to save from Dean Rossiter, Burrows struck home the rebound only to have been adjudged to push his opponent. The signs were now growing that it was not to be Town’s day and indeed disaster struck in the 20th minute when the defence failed to clear and Rhyl’s best player Gary Urquart raced through unopposed to easily beat Town keeper Robert Fitzgerald. Town continued to hold the upper hand in the second half and Rees nearly regained the lead for his side when his diagonal drive struck the crossbar with Gareth Phillips then blazing the ball wide.

Phillips had brought considerable stability to the Town side in the midfield area and it is a great loss to the home side that his on-loan period from Swansea City has now expired. After Rossiter had failed to score with a good opportunity it appeared that the game was heading for the inevitable draw until the home crowd were left shell-shocked in the 90th minute when a free kick from outside the penalty area was headed past Fitzgerald by the Rhyl player manager.

This was Town’s fourth home defeat of the season and supporters are now anxiously casting their eyes at the League of Wales table which sees the Club fourth from bottom

The match sponsors were South Wales Contracting Services Ltd who at the end of the match in the convivial atmosphere of Town’s clubhouse made a nice gesture by making a "man of the match" award to Gareth Phillips.

Return to Reports page


Barnhouse to the rescue


DESPITE dominating proceedings for long periods in the second half, Carmarthen Town narrowly failed to bring home the three points they had surely deserved in this League of Wales match last Saturday. In extremely heavy conditions with the game being in doubt up to the very last moment, Carmarthen with a strong wind at their backs in the first half failed to take advantage of the conditions.

It was 'keeper Robert Fitzgerald, gaining in confidence with each game, who was the busier of the two keepers and made some brave saves in difficult conditions. Carmarthen Town however, without the services of suspended Rhodri Thomas and Nigel Nicholas , at last came into life after 15 minutes when Dean Rossiter, making a welcome return to mid field after being absent through injury since early September, fired a powerful shot which much to the relief of Holywell keeper, Leigh Edwards was deflected by his full-back for a corner.

The home side however, continued to dominate and tricky winger, Carl Hughes was posing considerable problems on Carmarthen's right although David Barnhouse stuck to his task manfully. It was hughes who set up his namesake Peter Hughes for Holywell's goal in the 39th. minute when Stephen Evans, who had slotted into the centre back role instead of the absent Rhodri Thomas failed to clear, and Hughes was on hand to drive past Fitzgerald. Evans, however, had been struggling with a groin injury prior to this goal and was wisely substituted by manager John Mahoney with Wyn Thomas taking his place in a defensive position.

The second half showed a change of strategy by Carmarthen with Barnhouse and Wayne Jones playing in wing back roles, now successfully getting behind the Holywell defence to deliver a succession of good balls into the penalty area. But Holywell 'keeper Edwards distinguished himself with a series of brilliant point blank saves, especially from Tony Rees and Paul Burrows.

The equaliser eventually came in the 77th. minute when Jones' pinpoint corner was headed first time by Barnhouse past Edwards from the edge of the six yard box. For a short period following his goal, Town survived a couple of in-swinging corner kicks with some anxious clearances but soon asserted themselves and could well have grabbed the winner in the final minutes when Rees' low cross across the six yard area narrowly eluded the on-rushing Rossiter. The Final whistle came too soon for Carmarthen with a small band of supporters ruefully contemplating Town's loss of a possible two points.

Return to Reports page